So yesterday was my 50th entry to my Blog. As a somewhat “Over The Hill” tribute, I would like to dedicate today’s post to confessing the 50 things I’ve come to love about blogging. It’s only been a few short months since I’ve taken on this personal challenge and while it’s had its definite shares of ups and downs, I’ve grown a tremendous amount in the process and I couldn’t be more grateful. To all of those who’ve witnessed what little triumphs I’ve made in the past 5 months, I thank you. You’re an inspiration in so many ways and I couldn’t have done this with out witnessing your pure and honest confessions to the world.
Another announcement -or “confession”, if you will- is that I’ve decided to revamp my blog and take it in another direction. While I’ll still be blogging about the same old garbage, I have finally committed to purchasing a domain (About Time – I know.) and have realigned it with my personal business to keep things simple. While I still adore “Front Paige News” (because my daughter’s name is Paige), this domain was already occupied. I then considered the thought of losing out on www.TwineWithATwist.com as a domain (because it’s my side-business) and thought it no better time than the present to jump on it. Happy 50th Baby Blog: I got you a domain, facelift and some much-needed attention. Don’t worry, the chocolate covered strawberries are on the way! Maybe some day I’ll even upgrade my WordPress to a custom account. #BabySteps.
So in light of all the things learned since last November, I would like to compound those moments, lessons and memories into one small list: My 50 in 50. (These go in no particular order):
50 Things I love About Blogging:
- Patience – Your blog isn’t going to grow overnight. You learn to accept it, learn and listen.
- Connections – You meet the most amazing people in this tiny universe. It’s amazing and you will grow to love each and every person.
- Fear – You will attempt to conquer some of your biggest phobias. Then grow from them! It’s exhilarating, just wait.
- Grammar – I took a lot of english classes, had a minor in Language Arts and was an editor for 5 years. I’m still complete crap. The more you blog, the better you get!
- Design – You can make this space your own. It’s something I like to fiddle with time and again, it never gets old. Change it as you see fit, as often as you see fit.
- Capture – Take moments of your life and post them for the world to see, for you to see. It doesn’t matter, just make the most of your memories.
- Love – Finding that irreplaceable connection with your blog. It’s a place to escape when nothing else feels right. Write your world.
- Photography – Learn it. I have grown so much in this passion through the simple art of Blogging. Create that perfect accent to your word, a photo.
- Simplicity – Each post is its own. Don’t over think it. (I know I do!)
- Victory – Find triumph when you can. Each post, each goal, each milestone. Celebrate we will, cuz’ life is short but sweet for certain!
- Responsibility – You learn to face self-inflicted deadlines and personally accept the guilt that comes with failure (or even laziness). While nobody -but you- is betting against you, it can be stressful none the less. Don’t go too hard on yourself. . . It’s just a Blog!
- Creativity – You can spend an afternoon creating the perfect post, the perfect layout, the perfect photo. It’s engaging and addictive. It can also be completely freeing! Let your mind wander.
- Passion – You will find your passion. In this blog, in your life, in your writing. Embrace it. Love It. Learn it. Grow with it.
- Feedback – Cherish each comment. In the beginning it’s all that you have to not feel like you’re writing to a wall. These are the people who support you, big or small. It’s exciting!
- Support – Give it. Get it. You can change a persons entire day with one post, one comment. Blogging gives you an incredible network of people you’ll never meet otherwise. Embrace your connections.
- Publish – You can do it. When that initial post is too frightful to release on the world, just do it anyways. It took me 3 months to finally “click” the button. I’m so grateful that I did.
- Edit – Learn to love it. Re-read and over analyze. It might drive you crazy but each post is a work of art and I love going back and finding errors, it means I’m just as imperfect as I hoped I was.
- Voice – Finding your voice can be an upwards battle but it’s worth every moment. I can’t express how excited I am to continue on this path to finding what it is I can call my own.
- Link-Ups – Get in on the fun and find new friends. While I struggle to create my own “Link-Up”, I thoroughly enjoy the ones I take part in, like today’s “Humpday Confessions” with Kathy over at Vodka and Soda or Liz over on Fitness Blondie with “The Hump Day Blog Hop!“. Always look to grow your blog and join the party(ies) if you will!
- Humor – Embrace each Blog for the laughter that it can offer. Don’t be afraid to show your silly side and laugh. A lot. Often. At Yourself.
- Motivation – Blog It Up! While I struggle to find the words some days, I have never felt such a compelling effort to keep writing. . . a Blog is a baby, don’t toss it in a box outside your alley. #Seriously.
- Unique – Finding what it is you feel like publishing can be extremely fun/difficult. Rainboots? Sure. Write about them. Why the hell not? Be Yourself. . . It’s liberating.
- Privacy – Share when you’re ready. The best aspect to Blogging is the freedoms you’re given. You decide when -and if- you want to unveil your space to your (rather intimidating) personal world. For me, it’s about that time. I think it could be beneficial to conquering those final fears!
- Procrastination – I can if I want. Although I will admit, one of the most beneficial aspects to blogging could be the “make-believe urgency” to STOP being a slacker. If anything, you’ll overcome your lazy ways.
- Change – The adventures of Blogging will change you. Your voice will change, your writing will change, your formats will change. Don’t be afraid of it. The only thing constant is change.
- Read – You will read. A Lot. Each blog you follow will become like a short story that never ends. You will fall in love with some of them. Don’t compare, don’t judge. Accept and learn from each person you follow. . . they are inspiring in each their own.
- Comfort – Create a place all your own, your dream escape from everything. This is your space to be you, to be honest, to be challenged. It’s comforting to know you can always come back.
- Listen – In the past 5 months and I can honestly say that I’ve learned so much by simply listening to what others have to blog about, by listening to the experts, listening to your challenges, your victories, your daily dish. It’s why God gave us two ears and one mouth . . . .although it’s tough to argue when I blog with two hands?!
- Believe – Dare to be great. Aspire to be the next best “________”. It’s up to you. Nobody else. Don’t ever give up on your Blog, it’s a small extension of yourself. Treat it as such.
- Gratitude – Be courteous to those who appreciate your words and never forget to show thanks to those who’ve touched you! I’ve lost count of the times I’ve been truly thankful in this process and it’s quite amazing, it never ends!
- Perfection – Give it up! It doesn’t exist and you don’t need it. If there is one thing that Blogging had taught me, it’s that not any one post is better than another. Blog from your heart and your imperfections will glow with honesty. It’s your best attribute.
- Preparation- Blogging has taught me to plan ahead. While I mostly write by the seat of my pants, it’s given me a better idea on how to implement an idea and prepare for its path. It can be difficult but it’s benefits are endless, in life and in Blogging.
- Help – Ask for it. As often as you see fit. Blogging has taught me to ask for help. Lots of it. While I may work in Social Media, I do NOT know it all. I have so much to learn and I’m not afraid to ask the pros, you shouldn’t be either.
- Ambition – Get some! While I’ve always thought of myself as a somewhat ambitious individual, it wasn’t until I started this blog that I became aware of all my own possibilities. I’m a rockstar, so are you. Act like it.
- Code – Learn it. While I have a very limited knowledge on the backside of web design, Blogging has taught me some of the bare minimums that I would have otherwise neglected. It feels great to successfully pull off a little bit of coding, even if it’s just HTML!
- Discover – Never stop exploring. Blogging has opened so many doors for me. I couldn’t be more appreciative of the avenues this adventure has led me down.
- Labels – Label Yourself. Don’t be a pansy about it either. It helps to better express yourself and let others around you know what you’re about. I enjoy the honesty that comes from admitting both my character defects and my admiral qualities. . . . and finish your “About Me”!
- Giveaways – I damn well LOVE giveaways. I enjoy the traffic they create. As a Social Media Manager, I can honestly say that giveaways are the one small similarity I’ve found in my personal blog space and my daily profession. While I suck at throwing them – I have no idea what I’m doing – I enjoy witnessing another’s successful contest. I don’t mind participating either!
- Honesty – Let go of your reservations. Blogging is one of the best ways to get honest with yourself . . . and others.
- Accountability – The feeling that you get from contributing to something is indescribable. Feeling needed is a natural desire for anyone. . . . this space can give you that and it’s wonderful.
- Variety – The Blogging world is endless. The variation you can get from one feed alone is so intriguing. Engine Rebuilds, Quilting, Sugar Free Donut Recipes? It’s all here. Never stop expanding your path to knowledge.
- Reality – Whether it’s indescribably sad or overwhelmingly happy, every Blog has the ability to open your eyes to the incredible world we live in. I can’t imagine a better way to relate to people then through pure emotion.
- Security – Knowing that at any moment your world could come crashing down and the people you meet through your Blog will be there for you, and you for them.
- Humility – Accepting yourself for all of your faults. Overcoming them. Laughing at them. Blogging about them. Laughing at them again. A truly honest blog will accept you for all your defects.
- Experiment – It’s your space, do what you will. If you’re looking to take a chance this is the perfect place! Take feedback with a grain of salt and learn to find consistency with time…I have only just begun!
- Community – Build your own. What’s more fantastic than your very own niche? While I’m far from finding my very own space, it’s refreshing to know that I’ll someday find my own personal neighborhood.
- Forget – It happens. Don’t get down on yourself if you take a day off. . . . I’ve taken 4 or 5. Sometimes it’s exactly what the doctor ordered. Appreciate the down time. Come back refreshed. It can prove to be a positive.
- Report – Find news, advice, tips and to-do’s that mean something to you, that mean something to your followers. Report it. Hell, make your own. Share your world and wisdom with others -I find this incredibly fun and always learn something about myself in the process.
- Finish – Don’t. Always find something to keep you coming back. While I can honestly admit that some of my favorite moments have been when I finally put the keyboard down, the fresh idea of another post is what keeps me coming back.
- Faith – Have it. In Yourself. In your Blog. Don’t for one minute think you’re not capable. Faith is taking the first step, even when you can’t see the whole staircase. #MyBlog.
If you actually read all this, god bless you. I don’t know why I didn’t start this days ago. Regardless, I couldn’t be happier!
If you get a chance, check out today’s link-ups (listed above/below) and enjoy the rest of your Wednesday!!